The Langkawi archipelago is full of natural beauty comprising of mountains, forests, beaches and wildlife. The simple and fun loving residents of Langkawi offer a wonderful experience for all visitors. Nature related adventures must be on everyone’s itinerary on this island but plenty of other delights are also available for first time and returning visitors. Interesting museums, iconic structures, mouth-watering food at the night markets and duty-free shopping are a few items in a possibly long vacation list. To ease your planning woes here is our list of top ten must do things in Langkawi.
1. Water sports and snorkelling: A trip to Langkawi will be incomplete without enjoying some water sports in the blue Andaman Sea. Pantai Cenang and Tengah are the most popular beaches here for all sorts of water adventures including Jet skiing, Parasailing and Banana boat rides. Snorkelling and diving can be done at the Pulau Payar marine park, Malaysia’s oldest marine park sanctuary, which is brimming with several species of fish and colourful corals.
2. Delicious food at Night markets: The Langkawi night markets or Pasar Malam in Malay, offer a unique culinary experience of Malaysia. Held at different locations on the island every night of the week, the markets are open from dusk till late in the night. These local bazars are full of tiny and colourful stalls offering traditional Malaysian dishes at an inexpensive price, along with souvenir and small trinkets.
3. Get high at Langkawi Skycab and bridge: The Langkawi Sky Bridge, one of the biggest engineering marvels of the world, is a 410 meters long curved bridge hanging up high on mount Mat Cincang. The Langkawi Skycab, a cable car will take you to this bridge situated 2300 meters above sea level. On your way to the top, you will see a panoramic view of Pulau Langkawi, along with nearby islands of the archipelago.
4. Mangrove tours: Mangrove tours should be on the list of all first-time visitors to Langkawi. Surrounding the kilim karst geopark is a vast network of mangroves and estuaries which are filled with hundreds of species of flora and fauna. Tour services offering both private and group tours of the mangroves are available throughout the island.
5. Dataran Lang: Also known as the Eagle square, Dataran Lang is an iconic statue representing the soul of Langkawi. It features a 12 meters sculpture of a red backed eagle standing tall and proud on the Kuah Jetty. This landmark is surrounded by nature on all its side and is a great place to take pictures. The sight is lively even at789 night, as it has plenty of shops and restaurants nearby.
6. Rainforest trekking and waterfalls: A treat for trekkers and hikers, Langkawi has a vast expanse of rainforests spread across the mountains Gunung Raya and Mat Cincang. This entire ecosystem is built up of indigenous plants, fungi and old trees sheltering a diverse species of wildlife and birds. A hike to Gunung Raya and Mat Cincang, will also take you through some of the most beautiful waterfalls on this island.
7. Cheap discount shopping: Langkawi is a popular shopping destination in the South East of Asia due to its duty-free status. Shopping malls offer huge discounts on perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol, and chocolates. A good number of these malls and discount stores are in Kuah, however you will find places to shop across the island.
8. Arts in Paradise museum: The Arts in Paradise 3D museum has hundreds of three dimensional artworks, which will challenge your perception of what is true and not. Divided into various zones such as interactive, aquarium and optical illusion, this museum will give you a fun-filled outing with your friends and family along with tonnes of humorous pictures.
9. Underwater World and Langkawi Wildlife Park: When travelling with kids, the Underwater World and the Langkawi Wildlife Park should be a must on your itinerary. The Underwater World is one of the biggest aquariums in Malaysia and has hundreds of species of marine plants and animals. Langkawi Wildlife Park is a zoo housing several species of animals and birds. Visitors can experience guided tours and also participate in feeding sessions.
10. Island Hopping and Sunset dinner cruise: The archipelago of Langkawi is made up of 99 islets with hidden jungles and caves full of wildlife. Island hopping tours are a great way to explore these islands in peace and at your own pace. Sunset dinner cruises is also an option to explore the archipelago in a beautiful setting with some good food and drinks. Inexpensive group tours and private boat rentals are available on demand and can be easily booked throughout the island.